The Fair Hill Races are this Friday and Saturday, May 24 and 25, and the event is sure to have something for everyone. Read on for five reasons you need to attend!
1. Celebrate the history! This year marks 85 years for the Fair Hill Races, and the Cecil County Breeders’ Fair added Friday racing. This is a unique weekend featuring different styles of racing, tailgating, pari-mutuel wagering (on Saturday), family activities, and gala to celebrate the anniversary on Friday night.
2. Fair Hill Races should be on any racing fan’s bucket list. Not only is Fair Hill considered one of the premier equestrian sports facilities in the world with a historical turf course, it just began an improvement project to enhance the venue to renovate the racecourse and in preparation of hosting a five star eventing competition in 2020.
3. Bring your best 1920s-themed tailgating displays and attire on Saturday. The Fair Hill Races tailgate contest will judge contestants on their ‘20s-themed displays. This year’s theme pays homage to Fair Hill founder, William DuPont, and the construction of the turf course in the late 1920s – originally modeled after Aintree in England.
4. Sample craft beers and shop some unique equestrian-themed boutiques. Fair Hill Races offers different activities for all ages. This is a great event for the family or grabbing your friends for a day at the races.
5. Celebrate the start of summer with fresh crab cakes from Bucks Restaurant. Crab cakes and horse racing are what Maryland does. Bucks’ award-winning crab cakes are a must-try especially if you are coming to the races from outside the region.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit FairHillRaces.org.