Read on for nine fun facts about Saturday’s race at Oaklawn Park.
1. The Rebel was first contested in 1961, making this year the 60th edition.
2. In the last 11 runnings, the winner has gone off at odds greater than 4-1 just three times. Will Take Charge was the biggest price to win in that timeframe at odds of 28-1.
3. This year’s Rebel features a purse of $1 million, equal to that of the April 11 Arkansas Derby for which the Rebel is a prep race. The Rebel winner will take home 60% of that purse, amounting to a $600,000 top prize.
4. Eventual Triple Crown winner American Pharoah launched his 3-year-old season in the 2015 Rebel, winning by an impressive 6 ¼ lengths.
5. The betting favorite has finished in the top two eight times since 2010, but just half of those were wins.
7. Three Rebel runners have gone on to win the Kentucky Derby, and all three won both races: American Pharoah, Smarty Jones (2004), and Sunny’s Halo (1983).
9. The Rebel offers 85 Kentucky Derby qualifying points for the top four finishers, including 50 for the winner. A 50-point total has been more than enough to secure a spot in the Derby starting gate each year since 2013.