Champion racemare Beholder has been retired and is headed to her owner’s Spendthrift Farm near Lexington, Ky., marking the first step toward her second career as a broodmare. The remarkable horse left trainer Richard Mandella’s barn Monday morning having finished her career on a winning note in the Breeders’ Cup.
Read on for a few noteworthy facts on Beholder’s impressive accomplishments.
1. Beholder never lost a Breeders’ Cup race, winning the 2012 Grey Goose Juvenile Fillies, 2013 Distaff and 2016 Longines Distaff in the three years she ran, becoming just the second horse to have won three Breeders’ Cup races.
2. Beholder earned $6,156,600 in her five-year career, with 18 wins and six seconds from 26 starts.
3. She was named an Eclipse champion three times: 2012 2-year-old filly, 2013 3-year-old filly and 2015 older mare. Chances are good that she’ll earn another championship for her 2016 season come January.
4. She broke her maiden in her second career race, finished second in the Grade 1 Del Mar Debutante in her third, and won the Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies in her fifth start.
5. Beholder was purchased for $180,000 as a yearling at the 2011 Keeneland September sale. Her yearling half-brother was this year’s Keeneland September sale topper at $3 million.
7. She won at least one Grade 1 (highest level) race in each of her five racing seasons and 11 Grade 1 races overall, including the 2015 TVG Pacific Classic against males.
8. Beholder was the betting favorite in 18 of her 26 career races, or 69 percent.
9. Beholder ranked among the top 25 racehorses on the continent in earnings in 2012 (16th), 2013 (sixth) and 2015 (25th) and currently ranks eighth for 2016.
10. She finished worse than second just twice in her 26-race career. Both were fourth-place efforts, in her career debut in June 2012 and when she was injured in the June 2014 Ogden Phipps Stakes.
11. Beholder is also beginning her broodmare career on a high note, as her owner has announced she will be bred to top young sire Uncle Mo in 2017.
Beholder edges Songbird in a thrilling 2016 Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff