The first annual ABR Fan Choice Awards are coming soon, and we know that you have questions. Here are the answers to 10 of the most frequently asked questions about the Fan Choice Awards.
1. When are finalists announced?
The Fan Choice Awards finalists will be announced when voting opens on Nov. 6 at 9 a.m. ET. Voting concludes at 4 p.m. ET on Nov. 20.
2. How did the finalists for each category get selected?
ABR selected 19 judges (nine women and 10 men) from across the country, all of whom are industry professionals with no ties to possible Fan Choice Awards finalists. Those 19 judges selected the finalists for each category.
3. What categories will I be able to vote on?
There are 12 categories: Best Jockey, Best Trainer, Best Racetrack to Watch a Race, Best Racetrack for Bettors, Best Racing Fashion Event, Best Racetrack Food, Best Racetrack Cocktail, Best Racing Radio Show/Podcast, Best Racing Analyst, Best Race Call, Best Race, and the Secretariat Vox Populi Award.
4. I heard there was a contest going on around the Fan Choice Awards. What’s that all about?
You heard correctly! When you vote in the Fan Choice Awards, you’re automatically entered to win a VIP trip to the 2020 Breeders’ Cup at Keeneland, complete with a $10,000 win bet on the Classic presented by Keeneland Select.
5. Can I vote more than once?
You get one vote per email address, so choose wisely!
6. Do I have to vote in every category?
No, but you do have to vote in at least one category to be eligible for the contest.
7. How do I vote for the Secretariat Vox Populi Award?
There are two ways to vote for the Vox Populi: either here at America’s Best Racing or over at Secretariat.com, which will also offer up the opportunity for you to put forward a write-in candidate.
8. Are the Fan Choice Awards supposed to replace other year-end awards?
Nope! The Fan Choice Awards are here to give you the chance to make your voice heard in the sport of horse racing. We don’t want to stop anyone from watching the Eclipse Awards or following along with the Beemies; we just want to give you the chance to weigh in on your favorite parts of the game.
9. When will the Fan Choice Awards winners be announced?
The Fan Choice Awards show will be held on Dec. 19 at 8 p.m. ET on America’s Best Racing; additionally, the show will be aired on Fox Sports 2 one hour later, at 9 p.m. ET that same evening. Stay tuned!
10. When will I find out whether I won the contest?
The contest winner will be announced during the awards show on Dec. 19, so be sure to tune in to see if you’re heading to the 2020 Breeders' Cup!