LOUISVILLE, Ky. (Friday, April 26, 2019) – The 10th annual Taste of Derby presented by Angry Orchard will kick off the 145thKentucky Derby weekend with delicious culinary experiences from award-winning chefs from the United States’ racing regions, including Louisiana, Florida, and California. The event takes place on Thursday, May 2, at the KFC Yum! Center and includes James Beard award-winners, Top Chef alumni and chefs from the top-rated restaurants in the country.
Each year, a selection of renowned chefs from America’s horse racing regions come together to delight Taste of Derby guests with regional specialties, exquisite wine, and live music. The evening also features the Sullivan University Future Chef Showdown, during which local culinary students compete for a scholarship. Taste of Derby has donated $100,000 to Sullivan’s School of Hospitality.
Taste of Derby raises funds and awareness for hunger relief organizations. To date, more than $860,000 has been contributed to hunger relief locally and around the country in regions where participating chefs are located. Dare to Care Food Bank will return again as the beneficiary of this year’s event.
Featured chefs include:
- Bravo’s Top Chef 2017 winner Brooke Williamson of Playa Provision
- Churchill Downs Executive Chef David Danielson
- Atlanta chef and cookbook author Virginia Willis
- Chefs Samantha and Cody Carroll of Hot Tails, stars of the Food Network show Cajun Aces
- 2019 and 2018 James Beard Best Chef Nominee Tiffani Faison Walsh of Tiger Mama in Boston
- Ferrell Alvarez of Rooster and the Till, 2018 and 2019 No. 1 restaurant in Tampa/Tampa Bay Times
- 2013 James Beard Award Best Chef Tory McPhail of Commander’s Palace
- French master chef Jean-Robert de Cavel of jr's table in Cincinnati
- Top Chef season 9 finalist Lindsay Autry of The Regional Kitchen and Public House
- James Beard Best Chef Thierry Rautureau of Loulay/Luc Seattle
- Top Chef season 14 runner-up Shirley Chung of Ms Chi Café in Los Angeles
- Food Network’s Chopped! 2012 champion Corey Bahr of Parish in Monroe, La.
- Jean-Paul Bourgeois of Blue Smoke in New York City
- Top Chef master competitor Debbie Gold of Tied House in Chicago
- Michael Putnum, executive chef of the Galt House in Louisville
For a full list of participating chefs, tickets or to learn more about the event, visit https://www.kentuckyderby.com/visit/derby-week/taste-of-derby.