Welcome to Tacos and Trifectas! Each week, America’s Best Racing’s Southern California correspondent Jose Contreras - @LosPonies to those who follow him on Twitter - will provide a taco review along with a selection that he will key in trifecta bets in hopes of winning some cash to buy more tacos! Contreras will map out a trifecta betting strategy for how to key his main pick and keep track of his return on investment (ROI).
Stop back each week if you love tacos and want a trifecta play!
This week’s eatery:
Taqueria La Mexicana
Long Beach, Calif.
- Carne Asada is top-notch
- Green salsa is a must-have
- Prices are wallet friendly (cash only but ATM is available)
- Portions are good
What to Improve:
- It can take a while for them to pick up the phone for a call order
- Little to no parking available
- Patio area doesn’t offer a ton of seating
- If you have a large order, seven times out of 10, something will be missing from the order. Double check your carryout order before leaving.
- If you like guacamole, you will probably be disappointed.
This week’s Trifecta key:
Saturday, Del Mar, Race 5, 7 p.m. ET
#1 Logan’s Moon (5-1 odds): He’s making his second start of the season here at Del Mar and comes off a very game third-place finish. He broke on top, was part of a four-way duel for the lead, steadied out of the leading group, dropped back to last, rushed up with a good middle move, steadied behind a wall of horses, had to angle widest of all and finished with good energy. The winner of that race got a dream opening along the rail. Goes first-off-the-claim for a small barn that can pop up with a price and picks up a top rider in Rafael Bejarano.
Strategy on $80 Budget:
$1 Trifecta: 1 with 2,4,5,7,8 with 2,4,5,7,8 ($20)
$1 Trifecta: 2,4,5,7,8 with 1 with 2,4,5,7,8 ($20)
$1 Trifecta: 2,4,5,7,8 with 2,4,5,7,8 with 1 ($20)
$20 Win on #1 Logan’s Moon ($20)
ROI Year to date: $480 wagered/$36 returned