Foal Watch: Preparing for New Arrivals (Tambien en Español)

The Life

Photos by Melissa Bauer-Herzog

Every year starting in early January, pregnant mares lose all privacy at farms around the world as they go under strict 24/7 surveillance. January is the unofficial start of foal watch season, marking a time when social media fills up with foal pictures as the next generation of racehorses arrive in the world.

For those unfamiliar with what exactly foal watching is, let me explain. When mares get close to foaling at many farms, they are watched carefully all day and night. Since most mares foal at night, there is always at least one person there to make sure a mare doesn’t try to sneak out a foal without someone there to assist.

Take a look behind the scenes as I give you a tour of what a typical night of foal watching at the farm I work on looks like.

7 p.m. – I arrive at the foaling barn for my shift. The barn has 13 stalls full of mares who are usually within days of foaling with a few mares with foals who were born recently also taking up a few stalls (mares are brought in an hour or so before). The first thing I do is check in with the person who was on shift before me to see if there is any mares that I need to pay special attention to or if anything may have changed in the past week.


7:10 p.m. – Once I have been filled in on anything I need to know, I do my own check of the mares. Mares close to foaling can quickly change so even though I’ve been given information on who has looked extra close to foaling in my debriefing, I like to do my own checks. During the checks I look for wax (drops of colostrum) on their udders, which can be a sign that they are close to foaling (mares can wax for a few days before foaling, however) in addition to a few other changes of their body that signals foaling may be close. I make some notes to myself so I know if anything changes when I check throughout the night. If I note that a mare looks like she is going to foal overnight, or if she has wax, I send a text to my boss so he’s on alert that there’s a chance of having a foal since we have two people there for foalings just in case help is needed.

8 p.m. – I check the foaling barn mares every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the night, no matter where I am (a task that has been made easier now that we’ve had cameras installed in each of the stalls in that barn). But at about 8 p.m., I go and do a walk-through of our pre/post foaling barn. This barn isn’t far from the foaling barn and is where many of the mares due to foal within the next month are at in addition to the new foals who have moved on from the foaling barn. Depending on the time of year and how many mares we have who give signs they are close to foaling, mares and foals can move to this barn fairly quickly after they foal. When I’m in here, I am checking to make sure none of the expectant mothers are acting like they are close to foaling and that all the foals in the barn are nursing and active because they can get dehydrated quickly if they aren’t.

10 p.m. – This is usually when I pick (remove waste from) dirtier stalls in the foaling barn for the first time. Just like some humans, some mares are messier than others so keeping the stall decently clean in case she decides to foal can be a full time job in itself.

11 p.m. – This is lights out time for all the broodmares and involves me driving to two or three different barns to make sure their stall lights are turned out and that the mares have water. Until about April or so, all early foaling and barren (not pregnant) mares stay under lights until 11 p.m. to trick their bodies into thinking it is later in the spring so we can breed them early in the year. Thoroughbreds turn a year older on Jan. 1 every year so the closer to that date a foal is born, the better. Breeding sheds open around Feb. 14 so the goal is to have mares ready to breed when the sheds open. Once the mares are safely in foal for the season they’ll be turned out at night, but early on we have multiple barns full of mares under lights. This also usually my second check on the pre-foaling barn to make sure no mare has decided that having a foal before we expect it is a good idea.

Midnight – In addition to our resident broodmares, we also have a barn with horses who stay inside for quite a few different reasons so I stop by to check on them. If we have a horse in there who needs to be checked multiple times a night in that barn, this scheduled stop can change quite a bit. This barn can be nearly full or empty depending on the time of year. As we get to the end of the foaling season, summer and fall yearling sales prep horses start coming into this barn so it can get a little crazy.


12:30 a.m. – This is when I usually get a little antsy if I have a mare who looks like she may foal. It seems like the “sweet spot” for mares foaling when I’m on shift is between 12:30 a.m. and 3 a.m. Of course it isn’t a hard and fast rule that they’ll foal in that time frame but the majority of mares I have foaled seem to follow it.

If a mare starts foaling then life gets a little hectic. The first task when labor begins is to make sure I can feel both feet and a nose. From there, we let the mare do most of the work and unless she shows obvious signs she doesn’t want us in the stall, we just help guide the foal as he or she comes out. Once the foal is born, he gets toweled off, with the mare cleaned up once she is standing (mares usually stay lying down for a few minutes after foaling). It’s a pretty straightforward process from there. A lot of it is waiting around to make sure the foal stands and nurses within a certain time frame and making sure the mare passes her placenta (after it is out, the placenta is checked to make sure that none of it was left in the mare). I’m pretty hands off from that point but if a foal gets stuck in a corner of the stall while trying to stand I’ll go in and move him so he can try to stand again. Each foal gets an enema after he stands and nurses and from there it is a lot of monitoring of both the mare and foal to make sure there are no post-birth problems.


1 a.m. - On a non-foaling night or a night where a mare waits a while to foal, 1 a.m. is when I pick stalls again and fill up water in the foaling barn and give them hay if they are out. I’ll also run over to the other foal barn right after this to check their waters, especially if we have mares with foals in there. Nursing mares drink quite a bit more than mares without foals so there’s a good chance that I’ll have at least a bucket or two to top off.

2 to 5 a.m. – This is usually a “quiet” time of the night if there are no foals born. It’s a fun time to just hang out with the mares in all the barns and if there is a foal, watch him or her figure out everything. It is my favorite time of my shift, especially if I’ve foaled out a mare, because it’s relaxing and takes me back to the basics of why I love horses and the sport.


5 a.m. – This is feeding time for the mares and they know it. Even though I’m in and out of the other barns all night, they know when I walk in for feeding time and it’s the biggest welcome I’ll get from a crowd, horse or human. Depending on how many horses we have in, I get to experience this in five different barns and I have to say, it’s pretty awesome.

6 a.m. – All the foaling barn mares who haven’t yet foaled are turned out. Mares with foals go out into different fields later in the morning. The mares are watched all day to make sure they don’t foal in the field and if they show any signs, they are brought in to foal in a stall. Later in the foaling season the vet also comes early in the morning so assisting with vet work may also be needed.


7 a.m. – Someone comes to the barn to take over the foal watching duties and I head out. Before I leave, I let them know if anyone was acting weird or any other important details that need to be passed on. I’ll also send a text message to the boss if needed.

From January to June, foal watch never stops. Mares have eyes on them nearly 24/7 as they get closer to foaling so we can make sure the next generation of racing superstars comes into the world with the best start we can possibly give them.

(Tambien en Español)

Esperando a las Crías: Preparándose para los Recién Llegados

Fotos por Melissa Bauer-Herzog 

Cada año a comienzos de Enero, las yeguas embarazadas pierden toda privacidad en los centros de crianza alrededor del mundo ya que para ellas comienza un estricto periodo de  24/7 vigilancia. Enero es el punto de partida no oficial de la temporada de esperar a las crías, marcando un momento en el cual la prensa social se llena de fotografías en tanto la nueva generación de caballos de carrera arriba al mundo.

Para aquellos poco familiarizados con lo que es exactamente esperar a las crías, déjenme explicarlo. Cuando las yeguas se ven cerca de parir en los centros de crianza, ellas son vigiladas cuidadosamente día y noche. Dado que muchas yeguas dan a luz de noche, hay siempre allí al menos una persona para asegurarse de que alguna de ella intente traer una cría al mundo sin que alguna persona esté allí para asistirla.

Demos una mirada detrás de cámaras  mientras yo te invito a dar un tour a lo que suele ser una típica noche esperando a las crías en un centro de crianza.

7 p.m. – Llego al establo de los alumbramientos para mi turno. La caballeriza tiene 13 celdas o pesebreras llenas de yeguas  que generalmente están a unos días de parir y también con yeguas con crías que acaban de nacer (yeguas que acaban de llegar hace una hora o antes). La primera cosa que hago es chequear con la persona que estuvo en el turno anterior si es que hay algunas yeguas que necesitan que yo preste especial atención o si algo puede haber cambiado en la semana previa.



7:10 p.m. – Una vez que me he enterado de lo que necesito saber, hago mi revisión propia de las yeguas. Las que están cerca de parir pueden cambiar rápidamente de estado de modo que aunque yo he recibido toda la información  sobre quién o quiénes merecen más atención, me gusta hacer mi propia supervisión. Durante esto yo busco rastros de cera (gotas de calostro) en las ubres, lo cual puede ser un síntoma de que andan cerca del alumbramiento (las yeguas pueden tener esto unos cuantos días antes, sin embargo) además de otros cambios en su cuerpo que pueden ser señales de que el parto anda cerca. Tomo notas por mi cuenta para saber si algo cambia cuando vuelva a revisar en el transcurso de la noche. Si noto que una yegua luce como que está cerca de parir en la noche, o si ella tiene cera, envío un mensaje de texto a mi jefe para que esté en alerta de que hay una probabilidad de alumbramiento, ya que tenemos dos personas esperando ahí en caso de que su ayuda sea necesaria. 

8 p.m. – Reviso el establo de alumbramientos cada 10 o 15 minutos durante toda la noche, no importa donde me encuentre (una tarea que se ha vuelto más sencilla dado que ahora tenemos cámaras instaladas en cada una de las pesebreras de establo). Pero cerca de las 8 p.m., voy y doy una vuelta por el establo de  pre/post establo. Este establo no está lejos del de alumbramiento específico y es donde están muchas de las yeguas en expectativa de parir el mes siguiente, además de algunas crías recién nacidas que acaban de llegar desde el establo de nacimientos. Dependiendo de la época de año y de cuántas yeguas tenemos con señales de un cercano parto, las yeguas y sus crías se pueden desplazar hasta este establo tan pronto como ellas han parido. Cuando estoy ahí, reviso para asegurarme de que ninguna de las madres en espera esté cercana de parir y de que todas las crías en el establo están alimentándose y activas porque ellas pueden estar deshidratándose rápidamente si no lo están haciendo. 

10 p.m. – Es la hora en que generalmente limpio (remoción de desperdicios) las pesebreras más sucias por primera vez. Al igual que algunos humanos, algunas yeguas son más problemáticas que otras así que mantener la celda decentemente limpia en caso ellas decidan parir puede ser una labor a tiempo completo en sí misma. 

11 p.m. – Es la hora en que apago las luces para todas ellas y eso involucra a que yo de una vuelta por dos o tres establos diferentes para asegurarme de que las luces estén apagadas y de que las yeguas tengan agua. Hasta cerca de Abril más o menos, todas las prematuras o yeguas que han quedado vacías (no preñadas) permanecen con luces hasta las 11 p.m. para engañar a sus cuerpos de que aún estamos en primavera y así podamos cruzarlas a comienzos del año. Los purasangres cumplen un año más en 1ro de Enero de cada año de modo que lo más cerca a esa fecha que una cría nazca, es lo mejor. La temporada de cría abre alrededor del 14 de Febrero así que el objetivo es el tener yeguas listas para ser cruzadas en esa fecha. Una vez que las yeguas están preñadas para la temporada ellas dormirán a oscuras en la noche, pero antes de eso tenemos muchos establos llenos de yeguas con las luces encendidas. Esto conlleva a mi segunda revisión en establo de pre-parto para estar seguro de que ninguna yegua ha decidido parir antes de lo esperado.

Medianoche – Además de nuestras yeguas de cría residentes, tenemos una caballeriza con caballos que permanecen ahí por diferentes razones, así que paso por allí a mirarlos. SI tenemos algún caballo que necesita ser revisado varias veces en la noche, esta agenda puede cambiar un poco. Este establo puede estar casi lleno o vacío dependiendo de la época del año. En tanto nos vamos acercando al final de la temporada de alumbramientos, las ventas de verano y otoño de ejemplares de un año comienzan a llenar estos establos  y todo se puede volver un poco alocado. 



12:30 a.m. – Es la hora en que generalmente tengo un poco de inquietud si hay una yegua que parece que va a parir. Pareciera como que el “dulce momento” para el alumbramiento es cuando mi turno anda entre las 12:30 a.m. y 3 a.m. Por supuesto que no es una regla obligatoria que ellas estén pariendo a esa hora pero la mayoría de las yeguas parecen seguirla. 

Si una yegua comienza a parir, entonces la vida se puede volver un poco frenética. La primera tarea cuando empieza la labor de parto es asegurarme de que pueda sentir al mismo tiempo los pies y la nariz. Desde ese punto, dejamos a la yegua que haga la mayor parte del trabajo y a menos de que ella dé señales de que no nos quiere en la pesebrera, simplemente ayudamos a que la cría pueda salir. Una vez que la cría nació, se la limpia con una toalla, y la madre la asea también una vez que se ha puesto en pie (las yeguas generalmente permanecen echadas por unos cuantos minutos después del alumbramiento). A partir de ahí es un proceso sencillo. Mucho de lo que sigue es esperar y estar seguros de que la cría se ponga en pie y se alimente dentro de un cierto margen de tiempo y asegurarse de que la yegua se desprenda de su placenta (después de que salió, se revisa la placenta para estar seguros de que nada de ella se quede dentro de la yegua). Me mantengo al margen desde ese punto pero si la cría está atascada en una esquina de la celda mientras trata de ponerse en pie, deberé de moverla para que intente hacerlo nuevamente. Cada cría tiene un enema después de ponerse en pie y alimentarse y desde entonces hay que monitorear bastante tanto a la yegua como a la cría para estar seguros de que no hay problemas posteriores al nacimiento. 

1 a.m. – En una noche sin alumbramientos o una en la que las yeguas esperan un poco todavía para hacerlo, 1 a.m. es cuando limpio otra vez las celdas y completo agua y les doy un poco de heno si es que lo necesitan. Voy también corriendo a los otros establos después de esto, para revisar cómo andan de agua, especialmente si tenemos yeguas con crías ahí. Yeguas con crías que alimentar beben un poco más que las otras así que hay una buena chance de que tenga que llenar una par de baldes o más. 

2 to 5 a.m. – Usualmente es un momento de “tranquilidad” en la noche si es que no hay crías nacidas. Es un momento de relajo en los que estoy  a solas con las yeguas y si hay una cría, observarla tratando de descubrir lo que la rodea. Es la parte favorita de mi turno, especialmente si ayudé a parir a una yegua, porque es relajante y me lleva de vuelta a lo básico del porqué amo a los caballos y a este deporte. 


5 a.m. – Es el momento del alimento para las yeguas y ellas lo saben. Aun incluso si estoy entrando y saliendo de las otras caballerizas durante la noche, ellas saben cuándo entro a darles su alimento y es la mejor bienvenida que consigo de un grupo, humano o equino. Dependiendo de cuantos caballos tenemos, tengo esta experiencia en cinco diferentes establos y debo decirlo, es muy agradable. 

6 a.m. – Desde todos los establos, las yeguas que aún no han alumbrado son llevadas afuera. Las que tienen crías salen a diferentes potreros más tarde en la mañana. Las yeguas son observadas durante el día a fin de que no alumbren en el potrero y si muestran algunos síntomas, ellas son llevadas a parir en una pesebrera. Más tarde en la temporada de crianza el veterinario también llega temprano en la mañana así que asistir al doctor también puede ser necesario. 


7 a.m. – Alguien viene a la caballeriza para hacerse cargo de los deberes y yo me retiro. Antes de irme, le dejo saber si alguna estuvo actuando raro o cualquier otro detalle importante que necesita ser comunicado. También le envío mensaje de texto al jefe si es que es necesario. 

De Enero a Junio, la observación de las crías nunca se detiene. Las yeguas tienen sus ojos en ellas casi 24/7 mientras se van acercando a una nueva gestación mientras nos aseguramos de que la nueva generación de súper estrellas corredoras venga al mundo con el mejor comienzo posible que podamos darles.

newsletter sign-up

Stay up-to-date with the best from America's Best Racing!