By Blood-Horse Staff
Voting is under way at the National Thoroughbred Racing Association website for the 14th annual "NTRA Moment of the Year."
Voters can choose from among 12 moments drawn from the year's events. The winning nomination will be recognized Jan. 19, 2013 at the Eclipse Awards ceremony at Gulfstream Park Racetrack and Casino in Hallandale Beach, Fla. Those selecting the winning image automatically will be entered in a random drawing for a $100 gift certificate for Breeders' Cup merchandise.
The moments were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the events that fans can choose from are:
- Rosie Napravnik becomes the first female jockey to win the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I), guiding Believe You Can to victory.
- I'll Have Another and jockey Mario Gutierrez pull the upset from post 19 in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
- I'll Have Another runs down Bodemeister to win the Preakness (gr. I) by a neck.
- On the eve of a highly anticipated Triple Crown bid, I'll Have Another is scratched from the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
- For the first time since 1874, the Travers (gr. I) ends in a dead heat as Alpha and Golden Ticket hit the wire together.
- Haskell winner Paynter overcomes deadly battles with laminitis and colitis and begins rehab for a possible 2013 campaign.
- For the second straight year, Royal Delta wins the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I) for trainer Bill Mott and jockey Mike Smith, who registers his record 16th Breeders' Cup riding win.
- Groupie Doll trounces her opponents in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I).
- Shanghai Bobby digs in under Rosie Napravnik to win the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and remain undefeated.
- Wise Dan breaks the Santa Anita Park course record in capturing the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) over an international field.
- Fort Larned holds off Mucho Macho Man to take the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).
- Shackleford ends his career on a winning note in the Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (gr. I).
The first-ever "NTRA Moment of the Year" was the touching scene involving Charismatic and jockey Chris Antley following the 1999 Belmont Stakes. Last year, the hard-fought win by Drosselmeyer over Game on Dude in the Breeders' Cup Classic was the public's choice.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year allows fans to salute the people, horses and memories that make our sport so compelling," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president. "We look forward to seeing which one of the unforgettable moments from 2012 they select as this year's winner."
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at www.ntra.com. There is a limit of one vote per valid e-mail address. Multiple votes from the same e-mail address will be disqualified. Votes must be received by 11:59 p.m. (ET) Jan. 2, 2013.