The current Woodbine Racetrack carries the name originally used by a racetrack which operated in east Toronto, at Queen Street East and Kingston Road, from 1874 through 1993.
On June 12, 1956 the name was transferred to the new racetrack which would be known as New Woodbine Racetrack until 1963 when the "New" was dropped from the name. The old track was converted to a combined thoroughbred and Standardbred track known thereafter as Old Woodbine or, for most of the rest of its history, as Greenwood Raceway (during Standardbred meets) and Greenwood Race Track (during Thoroughbred meets).
The two Thoroughbred and two Standardbred meets conducted at Greenwood were transferred to the new Woodbine in 1994, which was until then exclusively devoted to Thoroughbred racing.
On July 4, 2010 Queen Elizabeth II visited the Racetrack as part of her state visit to Canada, viewing the 151st running of The Queen's Plate Stakes, as well as taking part in the presentation of trophies and holding a book signing.